Sunday, February 27, 2011

Speakers & More Art.

Music is huge in our house. You'll find it playing in some form at any given time... we really can't get enough. So Brad and I were anxious to install the in-ceiling speakers we bought for each room, and all the parts had just arrived in time for a weekend install.

I dream of the soothing melodies of Christopher Cross's Sailing and Enya's Caribbean Blue filling the house, on repeat, all day and all night...that's my version of heaven, I tell you. Although Brad probably doesn't share these sentiments, so I'll have to allow some Rush tunes to break it up from time to time. And of course we'll have to rock the Pandora trance channel for some crazy summer night dance parties.

So we kicked off our weekend with Brad in the attic Friday night, drilling speaker holes and fishing a network of wires to his receiver (located in the hall closet). We bought a pair of speakers for each room (garage included) along with some poolside rock speakers. He completed the garage and kitchen that night, while Saturday was spent on the office, living room, master bedroom, and pool (today he's working on the sunroom and man cave).

It was a fairly simple (but messy) process.

First he gets in the attic while I stand below, directing him on placement. He drills a pilot hole, comes back into the room, and cuts the hole with his "Hole Pro" cutter, and secures the speaker.

Here's the process in pictures:


Hole Pro in action



Mounting the speaker

Snapping the grill into place
Ta da!
Finished living room

So there you have it. Stereo sound in every room, gotta love it! We can switch each room on/off through the switchbox in the closet, and listen to music from virtually any source (radio, itunes, TV music channels, pandora internet radio). These speakers will get some good use.

Here's what every room looked like while Brad was still trying to get the hang of the hole pro:


Small price to pay for music, right? :)

And here's one of our rock speakers, facing the pool:



While Brad was in the attic, I had some downtime to finish some projects.

Like the office.

A week ago I had dumped our old filing "system" and opted for a streamlined binder and box organization method. I was loving the new setup, but felt like it needing some sprucing up.

Here's a reminder shot of how it looked last week:



And here it is today:


I picked a color palette, made some patterns, added the text, measured out the sizes I needed, printed and cut them out. Much cheerier, right?


I leave the cabinet door permanently open now because it just makes me happy to look at it. And I get excited anytime I need to look something up. Now that's how filing should be!

UPDATE: I've added free binder printables here!


While I was working on the project, the UPS man came and delivered a package I had been waiting on from the Container Store. It was my new wall file!

I've been needing a way to organize all my loose papers on my desk, and when I discovered this brocade wall file online, I thought it was perfect (if you know me and my love for anything white with a cutout pattern). So you can imagine my excitement when I go to order it and discover that it's on sale ($10 off!) making it around $25 shipped. I would still consider that a splurge for something so basic, but it's already paid off in the amount of happiness it brings just looking at it.

I picked up a set of colorful file folders at Walmart for $3, and here's the end result:



Love this detail!

So that's how the office is shaping up. A few days ago I purchased this rug in 5x8 for it:




I'm thinking it will match the color scheme I've got going on quite well. Let's hope so! Pics as soon as it's in.

And finally... we've got some more art on the walls.

Starting with the foyer art I finally hung. I went out and bought some command strips, since these particular frames have a flat back and the hook and nail made it stick out from the wall. It all worked out in the end:

These are 12x16 prints inside Ikea's $17 Virserum frames, found here.



The prints can be customized and purchased in any size, here and here.



Just around the corner, I printed and hung these:






These are 11.5x11.5" prints, framed inside Ikea's $20 Virserum frames, found here. Prints can be customized and ordered in any size, here and here.

Wall Color on left: Valspar's Magic Spell. Wall Color on Right: Valspar's Bonsai.


Finally getting some finishing touches in the house feels great!

I wanted to add a little something to our bare hallway wall, so I decided to make a couple maps that had significance for us. I chose our birth cities of New Orleans (Brad) and San Francisco (me):


City maps found here

Here they are framed and hung:


Now we have a happy hallway :)

And finally, Brad's "man cave" art is finished (...for now):





Gotta run, Brad's breaking stuff in the ceiling and needs my help... be back later today!


49 comments:

  1. I love every detail about this post. Its time to get my office in order! thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to say I really enjoy reading your blog. Love all the art work you've hung up recently and I'm in love with your beautiful hardwood floors! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and I am in love with all your prints - did you make them all? In particular, the print with your house number and the street maps.

    Your house is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind comments! Lindsay, yep I designed them all... and there's a whole lot more to come... check back on the "Prints" tab in the next few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look of your filing system. Great post, lots of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great - I might have to do something similar for the binders in my home office!

    What brand of speakers did you guys install? We had our family room and lanai pre-wired for speakers, but I haven't looked into buying any yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The speakers are from ebay seller TheDeepDiscout. They're 6.5" 2 Way in ceiling. You can buy them in big sets. I bought 8 speakers for $120.00 shipped. Don't get confused when you order thinking 8 is 8 pair, it's only 8 speakers, hence 4 pair. You need a pair for each room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry that seller should read TheDeepDiscount

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you, may or may not be obsessed. ;)

    You've been warned!

    xo
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Could you please tell me what color paint that is in your entry way? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your style. What color is the paint on the walls?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I actually recently updated my Florida House tour page with paint colors & sources for each room... check it out! http://jennasuedesign.blogspot.com/p/florida-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! I'm still tripping on the fact that one of your binders has my last name on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so pretty...where is that rug from?!?! i have been struggling to find a rug with all those colors in it. it matches my color scheme perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you tell me what the paint color is that you used??? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I ADORE this grey wall color! Do you mind telling me what it is? I need it. :)

    Thanks!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! I too would love to know the paint color :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure which paint color you're referring to (there's a lot of greige shades going on in my house) but if you click on the Florida House tab, there's a room breakdown with a source list including wall colors for each :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi there! Just found your blog via pinterest - can't wait to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also found you via pinterest! Such cute prints. Can you tell me how you made the birthplace maps? Soooo awesome. I'd Love to do that for my husband, me and 2 boys. Darling house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you tell me your paint color for that room? I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your welcome home prints. do you have a link or purchase site? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Linda! All of the prints can be found at jennasuedesign.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi I really liked the prints in the foyer did u make them? I would love to have these for my home please let me know thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Angel, yes those are my designs :) You can find them all here: jennasuedesign.etsy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jenna Sue, I am in love with the wall color you chose for your foyer...I have been trying to find the perfect color for my walls. Can you PLEASE share the color and manufacturer? Thanks. tiffany (tleaumont@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, I too love the wall colors and want to do the same in our new house. I went to lowes and asked for magic spell but they didn't have it in the system anymore. By chance do you have the can still with the mixture/recipe label on it?
    Would be so psyched if so!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to know this color too! I have dark hardwood floors and white base boards and I think it is perfect. Please share if you could.

    Thanks!
    Meghan
    meghan.m.osborn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Valspar's Magic Spell.

    Kelly - the paint can says 101-17, 107-15.5, 109-1.5. I am not sure if that is the paint code, but it's the only numbers on the label. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What color is on the walls in your entry way?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey love your blog. Can u tell me how u hung the 2 x4 and can the hooks handle a heavy coat?

    ReplyDelete
  32. where can you get the white backing the hooks are on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any hardware store—it's a 1x6" MDF board: http://jennasuedesign.blogspot.com/2011/01/this-is-why-im-not-carpenter_16.html

      Delete
  33. So these speakers..... I would love some like that. How do they link together and what do they play from? And was it all like a set? I've been looking for pool speakers and home speakers like this.

    Thanks,

    Crystal G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Brad: They were all ordered from THEDEEPDISCOUNT on EBay. They are all attached to a speaker selector switch that is hooked up to an amplifier. The amplifier is fed from the home theater system’s second zone output.

      Delete
  34. Love the thinking outside the box, installing a speaker in your room is something many dream of but don't have the gonads to pull it off, you're truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all of the little details you have made, created and just how organized you are.

    We recently moved and I am trying to go through and organize on a budget, so seeing some of these ideas are so helpful.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your blog is a breath of fresh air! I love everything about it. Your ideas for home decor and organization are attractive, fun, and practical. Even your blog format is so appealing and easy to navigate, with how-to descriptions that get to the point and are so simply worded. I am no stranger to home improvement blogs, and yours is quickly becoming my favorite. Especially with this post! I've been looking for a way to organize our office papers and have finally found it! You are headed for great things with this blog, so please don't change a thing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my goodness!! I love that adventure time print! Where did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just printed the most hi res jpeg I could find online :)

      Delete
  38. Hi! I love the entrance idea! I would love to do something like this in my entrance behind the door! How did you attach the 2x4 to the wall? I am fairly new to this home owner stuff and decorating my house so any advice is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi! I love the entrance Idea! I would love to do something similar to my entrance behind the door! Can you tell me how you attached the 2x4 to the wall? I am fairly new to this home decor so any help is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drywall anchors and screws into the studs :)

      Delete
  40. WE want to do the exact thing in our house with in / out side speakers. Can you tell me what speakers you chose, the cost and what sort of devise you purchase & where in order to allow for different music in different rooms?? Dying to do this project, I just need some pricing and ideas!
    Thank you for posting!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Brad: They were all ordered from THEDEEPDISCOUNT on EBay. They are all attached to a speaker selector switch that is hooked up to an amplifier. The amplifier is fed from the home theater system’s second zone output.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  41. Love the 2 colors of grey in the living room/entrance way. What are the names of the colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valspar's Magic Spell and Bonsai (you can find all of the paint colors on my house tour page: http://jennasuedesign.blogspot.com/p/florida-house.html)

      Delete
  42. I love how simple the hooks are! I'm going to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete