Thursday, June 30, 2011

My free handwritten font!

Let's continue with the "free stuff" theme here... why not.

I'm slightly obsessed with typography (it's my favorite part of design!), so making my own font has always been on my radar of things to do. I finally started the process a little while ago and have been finalizing on my first creation... a spin-off on my handwriting.

Well, it's finally ready! I figured I'd share it with you all, because who doesn't love a free font? Especially a good handwritten one complete with numbers and punctuation. I'm always on the lookout for those.

Here's my font preview:



You can download it (for free!) here.

UPDATE: There won't be any modifications to this font (sorry, international friends!) but I am working on a new similar font which will have a complete character set with lots of glyphs. Keep checking back for the official release!

UPDATE 2: Yep, I've already submitted it to Google fonts!

While we're on the subject of type... I recently had a customer ask me to design her a poem for a friend's baby shower (she's having a little girl named Eleanor). I had so much fun with it and she was so pleased with the results, I decided to turn it into a template for my shop! Here's how hers turned out:



Isn't it such a thoughtful gift? I think her friend will love it! You can find the new (completely customizable) design here.


Well, I'm off to bed... our AC just broke and it's about 100 degrees inside with 200% humidity... I think it's causing my computer to malfunction... along with my brain... I might have to sleep in the pool tonight... hurry up 3-day weekend!


25 comments:

  1. Your handwriting is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful handwriting! And your poem was lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this font. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely LOVE this poem AND the font. Thank you for sharing! Stopping by from iHeart Organizing!

    Alyssa
    sweetsewnstitches.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love! n love the poem too! do you know where she got it from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a dumb question--sorry!--but after I download it, how do I use it? I saved it but can't figure out how to use it in word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Recently featured in a post I wrote on pairing fonts (http://enva.to/pairing-fonts) look out for the orange labels.. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this font! I am trying to use in on my blog right now but there is an issue with the ascenders and descenders and they don't show correctly :( any thoughts? I am using an HTML hosting site to host the fonts. thanks again- looking forward to using it!!
    Stephanie

    howsweetblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry... I have no idea why it would be doing that! Maybe the line spacing is too close together?

      Delete
  10. hello i´m using this font for my coffee shop i´m live in colombia, i don´t speak english, here we use checkmark or accent on the vocals... but they aren`t visible when i try to write. ¿can u help me please? my name is gerardo. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your handwriting font. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenna - thank you for sharing such a beautiful font! I'm totally in love with it and it's the perfect font to bring my blog's aesthetics to the next level. However, the font gets cut off after I've embedded it (using the methods taught by http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html). Do you have any suggestions or do you have an updated version of the font? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hmm... I really have no idea, I've never heard of that issue before! Wish I could be of more help!

      Delete
  13. Jenna - will you please submit the font to Google for them to add it to the Google web fonts library at https://services.google.com/fb/forms/submitafont/
    Jenna Sue is such a beautiful font and it's been downloaded over 1.5 million times just from dafont.com alone. I'm sure the whole world will be grateful to be able to access it as a web font!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I did that a while ago.... just did it again though!

      Delete
    2. I finally figured out a simple way of turning Jenna Sue into a web font for blog and website use. I'm emailing you the steps so you can share with your readers!

      Delete
    3. Dee- can you share that with us? I'd love to know how!

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing it! Discovered this font via brandi carlile website. Ecstatic that it is free since I'm a just a student. It doesn't hurt that it also looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, I found this font and I'm completely in LOVE with it! Do you know if I can download it as a Wordpress Plugin so I can use it on my web site?

    Thanks for your help and your beautiful designs!

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks,

    Just wanted to stop in and say thank you for the font and for the fact that you choose to provide it free and to the people.

    We used it in a few places in our website.

    Much appreciated,
    Olmec Apparel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenna, although it is wonderful that you included punctuation, I would love to know if there is a version with accents. I am in the French part of Canada and we need to write with accents. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent font! Still don't see it in Google Fonts. It would make a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jenna, I'm trying to download the new font with accents and stuff, is it ready yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love love love this font. Thank you! Any update on being able to use it as a web font through Google? :)

    ReplyDelete